The ways to eliminate Chaupadi or menstrual taboo in Nepal
Due to deep rooted harmful traditional practices, need comprehensive and collective efforts to eliminate the Chaupadi or menstrual taboo.
- 1. Educate people about culture, its formation, evolving process and its essence in 21th century
- 2. Developed policy briefs including pictorials, documentaries,…. and disseminate massively on Chaupadi a culture based gender based violence
- 3. Extensive engagement with media workers/houses in order to unpack feudal mindset regards to Chaupadi and menstrual taboos
- 4. Engaged with men and faith healers and use them as resource person and change makers
- 5. Awards, felicitations to those women, men, faith healers, families who transformed
- 6. Publication and dissemination of inspirational stories on why and how they break the cultures
- 7. Worked with schools in order to educate and creating enabling environment in schools Engaged with political leaders, school teachers, social leaders
- 8. Media mobilization: radio jingle, radio programming including box pops from the field and policy makers
- 9. Multisectoral; education, health, economic, assistance required
- 10. Long term commitment required from the donors, networks and actors
- 11. Policy enforcement should ensure from the government
- 12. Required depth and wider studies to understand the direct and indirect adverse effects of the taboo
- 13. Constant monitoring, follow up and evaluation should required
- (This is points which is prepared and share for the Mr. Suman Baral who is doing his thesis on Chaupadi).