Women’s representation in Politics in Nepal
Women lose election NOT ONLY patriarchal mindset of political parties BUT ALSO women heavily occupied by patriarchal mindset (here we shouldn’t generalize the word of patriarchy as west. The gravity and magnitude of impact in Nepal is huge and complex too). Today, we have to speak very frankly and honestly about any issues no matter whether it is about men or women.
There are many factors though the following are major:
1. Women are so much fragment within and outside of party/parliament for class, caste, position, privileges.
2. They merely represent as women who they supposed to represent.Mostly they represent either their favorable party or party leader or husband or NGO or anyone. Means they lose and kill their bargaining capacity. As a result leaders do not consider them as competent contested but confirmed as pocket”s voice.
3. Due to socio-economic context have low status manifested by low education, income, recognition +++
4. Yet to have women’s movement. Since CPA 2006, women merely involved in dialogues and other decisions but there is no strong voice among the political women. Often NGO make certain waves and visibility but it is also circumvented among non-elite, small, or powerless NGO and their employees. Yet none of political leaders have done systematic mobilization and appeal for movement. Few campaign have done with filthy and fragile in nature.
5. Syndicate among women lead alliances and parties. No young and rational voice get space. Everything allow and accept if there is fancy body languages and reports.
6. Women also heavily involved in corruption inside and outside of party.The honesty, accountability, governance are only confined for training nor for practice.
7. NGOs and media do not represent as CSO.
8. There is no specific orientation for political culture and skills. Project based NGO intervention is building more biased and confused leaders.
To be continued.